Monday, July 5, 2010

Spicy Supercrunchy Fried Chicken



I put off posting this morning in the hope that more folks would see the most recent one, Wok-smoked salmon. But got to move on.
It’s been our tradition for a few years to make real fried chicken for the 4th. A recipe from our collection (page 75, which means it’s from the ‘80’s) has been our go to. It was by Mark Bittman, known as “The Minimalist”. I find just one serious flaw with his approach. It has to do with how the flour gets added. I did it his way and will print it in its original form, but next time I’ll dredge the chicken in the flour and not toss it by hand. It got a bit pasty. Still tasted really good.

I also like that it’s shallow frying which doesn’t require too much oil. If it looks a bit over brown, it was. However, it did not taste burned. I guess I really succeeded in getting the oil hot! Also, as usual, I brined my chicken, but it's optional for you.

Spicy Supercrunchy Fried Chicken
1 chicken cut into serving pieces, or 8 to 10 leg and thigh pieces
salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp curry powder
½ teaspoon ground allspice
2 tbsp minced garlic (or garlic powder to taste)
cayenne pepper to taste
1 egg
1 cup flour
vegetable oil
lemon or lime wedges for garnish

In a bowl, toss chicken with salt, pepper, curry, allspice, garlic, cayenne, egg and 2 tbsp water. Add flour and toss with your hands to coat thoroughly. Let sit while you heat oil; at this point chicken can marinate, refrigerated, for up to a day. It’s advisable to let the chicken come to room temp before cooking.

Use your widest skillet. Add oil to a depth of ½”. Heat over medium high (6 of 10 on my range). When a pinch of flour sizzles instantly in the oil, it’s ready. Turn heat to high (8 of 10). Cook chicken in batches. Add the pieces slowly so as not to drop the oil’s temp. Cover skillet, reduce heat to medium high, and cook for 7 minutes.

Uncover skillet, turn chicken and cook for another 7 minutes. Turn again and cook for up to 5 minutes to an internal temp of 160 degrees. Turn as necessary to even the browning. Remove to paper towels and let rest a few minutes or longer. Any temp for serving is fine. Serve with lemon or lime garnish.

2 comments:

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

This looks amazingly mouthwatering delicious Stephen! I love shallow pan fried chicken (in my cast iron skillet, of course). The color you got is awesome, I know it translates to FANTASTIC taste. I wish I was there eating a piece right now :) YUMMMMMY!

Unknown said...

Fried chicken is my guilty pleasure for sure. I would eat it every day if I could. There is just something about the crispy skin and the moist meat...mmmmmmmmmmmm!!! Yours looks fantastic! I'm with Andrea, the color is fantastic! Excellent job!!

Blog Archive

Tuesday Tag-Along

Tuesday Tag-Along

Foodie BlogRoll

Followers