Sunday, June 26, 2011

Checkin' in on Chicken



More about the above kale below.

The spatchcock technique is very simple. Remove the chicken's backbone with poultry shears or a strong knife. Save the backbone for stock. The advantage of this method is that you can cook the chicken a number of ways quite efficiently. I like to weight it down to brown the skin side. Then it can be finished in the oven or, like now in the summer, finished on the stovetop.





Not much needs to be said about this. Brine the chicken, of course, for 2-3 hours. Rinse and dry. Rub with spices, butter, olive oil, whatever floats your boat. Melt butter in oil in a pan large enough to hold the bird. Sear the skin side first with a piece of foil and a weight on it. That will take 8-10 minutes. Turn the bird, put the foil back on, and cook over somewhat reduced heat for 30 minutes or so. I don't weight the bird during this second part of the process. Use a thermometer to see if you've got the thickest part of the breast (where it meets the wing) to 160-165. Let rest, carve, and eat.

I decided to throw in the kale here because I did something unusual that was exceptionally successful. I had bought some canned hominy. We did a basic braise on the kale with some garlic, salt and pepper. Then I drained and rinsed a can of hominy and tossed it in. The two flavors complemented one another in a way I never would have imagined.


















6 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds delicious! I love buying whole chickens now. Chris and I can get at least two meals from it.. I get to enjoy the dark meat, he get's the white meat. We are both happy!! AND, for anyone that out there that doesn't believe in brining.... that's just silly nonsense...it's a must, especially with a whole bird!! :)

Donna Elick said...

I am not one to cook a whole chicken. I love the idea, but perhaps am intimidated by the idea. Your looks and sounds perfect. I may give it a try.

Unknown said...

I need to try this technique! I have seen it done but have never tried myself! Brining makes all the difference too!

Anonymous said...

Sounds mouthwatering. I love the idea of the kale and hominy.
Mary

Mary Bergfeld said...

This is a lovely meal. The kale and hominy combo is an inspired idea. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Chris said...

Do you bother with trying to remove the keel bone after spatchcocking the bird?

Blog Archive

Tuesday Tag-Along

Tuesday Tag-Along

Foodie BlogRoll

Followers