Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Lima beans stewed with jalapenos



Ah, the humble lima bean. Did you ever cook fava beans? What a pain in the neck. I love limas, especially in succotash. But the other day I got the idea of stewing them with some jalapeno peppers. I took a route unusual for me: I used some canned jalapenos (not pickled, although that might be interesting). They are not as spicy as fresh and, since they're going to be stewed, you might not know in the end that they came out of a can.


1 Tbs butter

1 Tbs olive oil

1 16 oz bag frozen limas, thaw them

1/2 cup chicken stock

6 oz can jalapenos

salt and pepper to taste

cilantro for garnish

hot sauce for garnish (optional)


This is super easy. Heat the butter and oil Add the beans and stock and cook at a low simmer for 20 minutes. Add the jalapenos, salt and pepper and continue to simmer for 10 more minutes. Serve up with cilantro and hot sauce. This is true comfort food.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds so delicious, I'm going to try this - really good for you and easy to do - that's a win, win!
Mary

Unknown said...

I'm such a kid still.. I don't like lima beans!! BUT, with that said, stew them with jalapenos and I would definitely try them. I mean, in some ways, jalapenos are like chocolate, they make everything taste better! :)

Pam said...

This is a keeper for sure! I love love love lima beans and could probably eat them every day. Off to get some jalapenos!!!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Stephen this sounds delicious!! Lima beans are tasty little buggers but then you went & added some jalapenos. And my taste buds stood up & said "Hello delicious!" I need to make this! Easy and tasty, works for me!

Food Glorious Food! said...

My kind of comforting food :) Best of all its easy to prepare! Thanks for sharing!

Pam said...

I haven't had lime beans for far too long... this recipe sounds tasty.

Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine said...

sounds like a great recipe for these love the heat!

Chris said...

What was the heat level like? I like jalapenos and find them relatively mild in the right preparations.

Unknown said...

You mean broad beans? hehe... I still remember our discussion. As long as they're not too hot, this does sound delicious.

Blog Archive

Tuesday Tag-Along

Tuesday Tag-Along

Foodie BlogRoll

Followers